TYPES OF INFORMATION WE COLLECT
We collect two basic types of information – Personal Information and Anonymous Information – and we may use these two types of information to create a third type of information, Aggregate Information. The types of information are defined/described below:
- “Personal Information” – This refers to information that is collected online that directly or indirectly identifies a particular individual. When you engage in certain activities within the Property, we may ask you to provide certain Personal Information. Anonymous Information that is associated with Personal Information is also considered Personal Information. We may collect the following Personal Information from you:
- Registration information you provide us when you create an account, including your name, date of birth, gender, username, password, e-mail address, and telephone number;
- Transaction information you provide to us when you purchase a product or service from us, including your payment information, telephone number, and shipping address;
- Information you provide in public forums on the Property;
- Information you send on or through the Property, whether directly to another user or within a group, using our message, chat, post, or similar functionality, where we are permitted by law to collect this information;
- Profile information you choose to share, such as your city, state, favorite bands, favorite shows, favorite music videos, favorite quote, your personal website, a picture, and a general description of yourself; and
Other Personal Information you choose to share, such as information you provide to us when you link your account on the Property to third-party social networking sites or platforms.
- “Anonymous Information” – This is information that does not and cannot reasonably be used to directly or indirectly identify an individual user. We use and share this Anonymous Information with third parties to improve the content and functionality of the Property and our affiliated websites or apps, to better understand our customers and markets, and to improve our products and services. Anonymous Information may include:
- Information collected automatically through the operation of the Property, such as cookies, flash cookies, or web beacons, which are not linked to any Personal Information. These technologies provide tracking data that allows us to implement useful features on the Property and deliver relevant content to you based on your preferences, location, or usage patterns. We may associate some of this tracking data with your registration account if you choose to create one, in which case, we will treat it as Personal Information.
- Location information when you visit or use the Property, including location information provided by a mobile device interacting with the Property (through beacon technologies or otherwise);
- In some of our email messages we use a “click-through URL” linked to content on the Property. When you click one of these URLs, you pass through our web server before arriving at the destination web page. We tack this click-through data to help us determine interest in particular topics and measure the effectiveness of our communications. If you prefer not to be tracked, avoid clicking text or graphic links in our emails.
- In addition we use pixel tags—tiny graphic images—to tell us what parts of the Property that you have visited or to measure the effectiveness of searches you have performed on the Property. Pixel tags also enable us to send email messages in a format you can read. Further, they tell us whether emails have been opened to ensure that we’re sending only messages that interest you. We may use this information to reduce or eliminate messages sent to you. We store all of this information in a database in the United States.
- “Aggregate Information” – This is information created through use of Personal Information and Anonymous Information about the categories of users which does not and cannot reasonably be used to identify an individual user, such as:
- Usage, viewing, and technical data, including your device identifier or IP address, collected automatically when you use our Property or open e-mails that we send.
HOW WE COLLECT YOUR INFORMATION
We collect information from you to improve the Property to provide you with an optimal experience. Accordingly, we collect your information in the following ways:
- When you provide information to us by: (i) requesting products, services or information from us, (ii) registering with us, (iii) participating in public forums or other activities on the Property, (iv) linking your account on the Property with your account(s) on social networking sites, or (v) otherwise interacting with us;
- Through technology, such as cookies, web beacons, or other technologies;
- When other trusted sources provide us with information to update or supplement the information you provided to us or information we collected automatically, as permitted by law.
HOW WE USE YOUR INFORMATION
We collect, store and use your Personal Information for the purposes for which you provided such information and to provide you with a safe and customized experience on the Property. We may use information collected from you in any of the following ways (consistent with local law):
- To create your user account;
- To provide you with products and services at your request;
- To identify and suggest products or services;
- To deliver targeted advertising that you may find useful, relevant, valuable, or otherwise of interest to you;
- To enforce the Terms;
- To prevent fraud or potentially illegal activities;
- To enable user-to-user communications;
- To provide technical support and respond to user requests;
- To optimize or improve the Property, products, services, or operations;
- To facilitate communications with you, e.g., informing you of new products or promotional offers, verify your account, informational and operational purposes, customer service, etc.
We may also use Aggregate Information for purposes of research or analysis in order to better understand and serve you.
HOW WE SHARE YOUR INFORMATION
We generally will not share your information with third parties except in limited circumstances. Such circumstance may include co-branded promotions or when another company performs services for us (such companies are prohibited from using your information in any other way than what you allow or what is required by law).
- Affiliates – We may share the Personal Information you provide us with our parent, affiliate and subsidiary companies. If you do not want us to share your Personal Information with our related companies for their marketing or other purposes, you may opt-out by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Other users of the Property – The Property may include social features that allow you to interact with other users.
- Social networking sites – If you link your account on the Property to other social networking sites (e.g., Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, Twitter, etc.), we may exchange or otherwise provide information about you with these social networking sites, with your consent.
- Our business partners – Unless they are acting on our behalf or you provide your Personal Information as part of a co-branded promotion, we will obtain your consent before we share your contact information with advertisers, business partners, or other entities that are not related to CJ. However, we may freely share Anonymous and Aggregate Information to develop and deliver targeted advertising to users of the Property and on the websites of third parties.
- Our service providers – We may share your information with companies that provide services to us, including companies that assist with the operation of the Property, payment processing, data processing, user and business analytics, account management, advertising, and other services. We may also enter into agreements with third parties that provide the technology which allows us to customize the advertising and marketing notices you receive while using the services on the Property. We direct all such third party service providers to maintain the confidentiality of the information shared with them and to not use your information for any purpose other than to provide services on our behalf.
- Other parties in connection with a transfer of assets – If we sell all or part of our business, make a sale or transfer of assets, or are otherwise involved in a merger or business transfer, we may sell or transfer your information to one or more third parties as part of that transaction.
- Other parties when necessary to protect your or our rights – We may preserve or disclose your information to: (i) protect the legal rights of CJ, its parent, affiliate, and subsidiary companies, and each of their investors, directors, officers, employees, agents, and suppliers, or of a third party, (ii) to protect the safety and security of the Property’s users or to enforce the Terms, (iii) to protect against fraud or to resolve or prevent security or technical issues, or (iv) to comply with a request for cooperation by a governmental entity, by order of a court with competent jurisdiction, or as otherwise required by law.
- Other parties with your consent – We may share or disclose your information with your consent, such as when you authorize a third-party website or other parties and applications to connect with the Property.
HOW WE PROTECT YOUR INFORMATION
- We ensure that the data we collect is reliable, accurate, complete and current. We encrypt your Personal Information so that unauthorized parties cannot view such information when transmitted to us.
- We set limited access to your Personal Information only to specific employees, agents and contractors who have a reasonable need to gather information. For instance, we may provide information to our technical support team with limited access to your account so that the team may troubleshoot any issues you may experience on the Property.
- Your information is available through a password and unique ID created by yourself. This password is encrypted. We recommend that you do not share your password and recommend that you create a distinct password.
We take precautions—including administrative, technical, and physical measures—to safeguard your personal information against loss theft, and misuse, as well as unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration, and destruction. While we make efforts to ensure the integrity and security of our network and systems, we cannot guarantee that our security measures will prevent third-party “hackers” from illegally obtaining your information.
You can help us by also taking precaution to protect your Personal Information when you are on the Internet. Change your passwords often using a combination of letters and number, and make sure you use a secure web browser.
YOUR CHOICES AND CONTROLS
You may use parts of the Property and some of our services without providing any Personal Information. If you have previously provided Personal Information to the Property and have subscribed to any services on the Property, and you no longer wish to receive such services, please discontinue your subscriptions by clicking on the “unsubscribe” link at the bottom of message and following the instructions to be removed from our mailing lists. You may also contact us at email@example.com to unsubscribe or make modifications to your account.
Please note, however, that we may retain records of your Personal Information as necessary to comply with applicable federal, state, or local laws.
If you would like to review or change the Personal Information that you have provided to us, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will take reasonable steps to respond to requests for changes and updates to your Personal Information in our possession.
PRIVACY OF CHILDREN
Protecting children’s privacy is especially important to us. We do not knowingly collect any Personal Information from children under the age of thirteen (13). Children under 13 are expressly prohibited from providing any Personal Information to us through use of the Property. In the event that we learn that we have inadvertently collected Personal Information from children under the age of 13, we will take reasonable measures to promptly remove such information from our records. It is our policy to comply with the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act of 1998 and any other applicable laws.
At various places on the Property, we may ask users for their age. By using the Property and its services, you agree to respond truthfully about your age. If you have any reason to believe that a child has provided personal information to the Property, please contact us at email@example.com and we will make reasonable efforts to delete the provided information or otherwise protect the user.
We support the guidelines and regulatory requirements provided in the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA): http://www.ftc.gov/ogc/coppa1.htm
CALIFORNIA-SPECIFIC PRIVACY INFORMATION
If you are a California resident, California Civil Code Section 1798.83 permits you to request certain information regarding the disclosure of your personal information by us to third parties for the third parties’ direct marketing purposes. To make such a request, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “California Privacy Request” or write us at:
CA Privacy Rights
CJ E&M America, Inc. / KCON.TV
5700 Wilshire Blvd., Ste. 550
Los Angeles, CA 90036
We value your use of the Property and we are dedicated to protecting your personal information with care and respect. Pursuant to California Civil Code Section 1789.83(c)(2), we do not share your Personal Information with other companies or third parties for those parties’ direct marketing use unless you allow us to do so.
If you are a California resident under the age of 18 and a registered user of the Property, California Business and Professions Code Section 22581 permits you to request and obtain removal of content or information you have publicly posted. To make such a request, please send an email with a detailed description of the specific content or information to email@example.com. Please be advised that such a request does not ensure complete or comprehensive removal of the content or information you have posted and that there may be circumstances in which the law does not require or allow removal, even if requested. Please also be aware that, pursuant to the Terms, you are not allowed to submit or post any Personal Information on the Property if you are under the age of 13.
Under California S.B. 27 (“Shine the Light” Law), California residents have the right under certain circumstances to receive, once a year, information about third parties with whom we have shared information about you or your family for their marketing purposes during the previous calendar year, and a description of the categories of personal information shared. To make such a request, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and please include the phrase “California Privacy Request” in the subject line, the domain name of the web site you are inquiring about, along with your name, address and email address. We will do our best to respond to you within thirty (30) days of receiving such a request.
PUBLIC FORUMS ON THE PROPERTY
Please remember that information posted to message boards, blogs, and other forums on the Property becomes public information. Users under the age of 18 should use extra caution when posting and should be careful not to disclose any personally identifiable information on areas of the Property where such information may become public. We cannot guarantee that parties who have access to such publicly available information will respect your privacy. Accordingly, please exercise extreme caution when deciding to disclose your personal information in these areas.
Last updated: May 19, 2017